Thanks for the insight on that. I wasn't quite aware of that problem
but the simplest work around is having it logged to the users
directory, under a logs folder which is owned by root:root and not the
user.. This prevents the issue you spoke of. The thing I am faced
with, is I need a way to provide the user their logs in real time, for
reading, yet being gentle on the system. I see alot of control panels
using their own apache modules to do bandwidth logging, and I am
afraid I am unable to write an apache module. Cpanel uses BytesLog
(mod_log_bytes) and hsphere uses something similar they wrote in
house. I am actually shocked there is nothing publically available
that can do this:

LogFormat "%v %{%F}t %I %O" byteslog

It would be nice to be able to do that log on a global basis (no entry
required per vhost) and then allow normal logging per vhost. Does
anyone have a suggestion for this?