On 10/11/07, Joseph Marcelletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the insight on that. I wasn't quite aware of that problem
> but the simplest work around is having it logged to the users
> directory, under a logs folder which is owned by root:root and not the
> user.. This prevents the issue you spoke of.

No it doesn't. If the user owns their own home directory, they can
just wipe the subdirectory and replace it with one they own.

> The thing I am faced
> with, is I need a way to provide the user their logs in real time, for
> reading, yet being gentle on the system.

You can do this with a piped logging problem, which is a simple script
that accepts log entries and standard input and writes them out again
however you want. Of course, you still have to be very careful about
the security issues because the piped logger will be run as root.

Joshua.