hya,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:32:37PM +0200, Alan AZZERA wrote:
> I ran into such awful hacks with mod_proxy_html.

Proxying bad applications is a dirty business. They do not
get any cleaner when they are told to behave nicely behind
a proxy.

> IMHO... It could be efficient, but it was impossible to quit the chain
> of rewriting rules at the first match, resulting in ugly rewritings,
> ans possibly infinite loops ! mod_proxy_html had though a "L" flag
> (see http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/config.html), which
> action is supposed to be 'If this rule matches, no more rules are
> applied". But it didn't work with the packages available in my Etch
> server...

mod_rewrite has that too. When proxying with mod_rewrite it is
a good practice to set that.

RewriteRule /(.*)  http://backend/$1 [proxy,last]

> You're right : with "RequestHeader set HOST app.private.zone", I can
> alter the HTTP_HOST Apache environment variable. But I don't know how
> to alter variables like SERVER_NAME.

SERVER_NAME is not an environment variable...
I do not know your apps, so I can not really tell, but many times
setting the appropriate http header "Host" is enough.

> Anyway, I get what I want, but it doesn't help : it gets my RP
> confused. It now returns :
> Proxy Error
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET /app/somepage.php.
> Reason: Error reading from remote server

You must have messed your requests completely on the proxy. OR
something similar. I suggest you run tcpdump (tcpdump -A -s 0 port 8080)
or something similar between the two and dump the traffic for
debugging.

good luck,

christian