Hey Alan,

You are facing a very typical problem. I am not proficient
with mod_proxy_html, so I am not sure I can help you.

However, the best way is always to go and fix the
application. If you can not do that for whatever
reason, then mod_proxy_html is a good approach. A
more general approach is to work with mod_ext_filter.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_ext_filter.html
It has some nice examples. Needless to say, that this
is performance relevant and that this is evolving
into not very elegant hack.
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to
achieve with E=HTTP_HOST... In order to get this to your
application, you will have to set the http host header
explicitely with mod_header.

regs,

Christian