Thanks, you're right, not only was it the wrong block it was the wrong
config file. I forgot that when we upgraded Apache we used the new
config locations but didn't delete the old configs "just in case".

The proxy element is now working alas I have a new and exciting problem,
but it's one outside the scope of this list so thanks for your
assistance. With time I hope I'll be more confident in my own diagnosis
of the problem :)

One question, when acting as a reverse proxy what does Apache use as a
source port, anything above 1023?

Paul Cocker
IT Systems Administrator
IT Security Officer