On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM, John Almberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I run a web server with a bunch of websites, all of which need an SSL
>  connection. Instead of buying a big block of new IP addresses, I'm
>  thinking of running the SSL virtual hosts on non-standard ports, like
>  444, 445, etc. (just an example... I'd probably use a higher set of
>  numbers.)

>  Why don't you see more SSL addresses like this? Why shouldn't I do this?

I'm not really an expert in this, but I'd say the reasons are:

1. Corporate firewall rules that block everything but 80 and 443.

2. Some users (smart ones) will take a careful look at the browser's
location bar before trusting an SSL site. Seeing a non-standard port
may give them doubts. (For example, perhaps a hacker broke into the
server and setup a site to steal info on a high-numbered port.)

I don't have any data to say whether these are serious problems or
not. Technically, your solution will work fine.

Joshua.