Hello Melanie,

I am not sure if the RewriteRule behaviour is identical to ProxyPass od mod_proxy.

In mod_proxy, I believe you have to enable ssl connections to the backend with SSLProxyEngine on (or something similar, if my memory fails me), so this might be the issue here as well. Mod_proxy does log this to the error_log, though, if it is needed.

Best wishes
Nils