André Warnier wrote:

Bo Berglund wrote:
[...]
It seems like there is a setting in the Apache server to change so
that the server along with the actual file data also sends "something"
that triggers the expansion. What this could be I don't know, and
therefore I am asking here.
If I understand correctly, the files are already compressed on the original server (the file on disk is abc.xml.gz, as opposed to abc.xml), right ?

Then it probably has something to do with the HTTP headers sent in the response. Apache sends the response to the browser, with a HTTP header like
or something similar, so that the browser believes that the .gz file is the original content, and proposes to the user to download it as such and save it to disk.

Instead, what you want is that the browser would "believe" that the gzipped file is only a way to transport the original content more efficiently, and that the real content is the xml file, unzipped.
So you want the response to be sent with HTTP headers like

so that the browser would unpack the zipped file and present the XML document.

I am not quite sure of the exactness of the header names or form above, but it's the idea. I am unfortunately also not quite sure how to configure Apache to set the headers that way. It probably requires some module in-between. I'm sure a neat little mod_perl module would do fine here, but that may not be what you're looking for, and there might be a simpler way using Apache directives only.

Perhaps the AddEncoding directive would help? I don't really know as I have not tried it, but it is worth a try.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addencoding

Combined with the AddType directive to tell the system that it is an xml file, it may well do what is needed.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

So something like this (I think):

AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
AddType application/xml .xml.gz

Or maybe the type needs to be text/xml, both are valid MIME types for xml documents but I don't know which is appropriate to what circumstance.

Dragon