On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:45:04 -0700, Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Perhaps the AddEncoding directive would help? I
>don't really know as I have not tried it, but it is worth a try.
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addencoding
>
>Combined with the AddType directive to tell the
>system that it is an xml file, it may well do what is needed.
>
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype
>

>So something like this (I think):
>
>AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
>AddType application/xml .xml.gz
>

>Or maybe the type needs to be text/xml, both are
>valid MIME types for xml documents but I don't
>know which is appropriate to what circumstance.

OK, exactly where in httpd.conf do I add these directives?

Assuming my directory config I changed my directory section like this:

<Directory "C:/Engineering/Projects/XMLTV/XMLTVTestsite">
    Options Indexes MultiViews Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AddEncoding x-gzip .gz            <== New
    AddType application/xml .xml.gz   <== New
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
</Directory>

and then restarted Apache, but the result is still that FireFox tries
to save the link to file instead of displaying the decompressed
contents.

Also tried with this instead but with the same result:
   AddType text/xml .xml.gz

Bo Berglund