Ah, thanks.  That's good to know.  I still cannot get this damn thing to
connect to the database, and I've been sticking bits of debug code in
mod_dbd and apr-util to no avail.
I use this:
DPDParams "host=localhost user=someuser pass=somepass"

but all I get in the error log is:

[Fri Dec 26 16:09:33 2008] [error] (20014)Internal error: DBD: Can't connect
to mysql
[Fri Dec 26 16:09:33 2008] [error] (20014)Internal error: DBD: failed to
initialise

When I look at my mysql logs, I see no attempt to connect to the db server.
Since there are so many levels of redirection: httpd calls mod_dbd calls
apr-util calls apr_dbd_mysql, it's pretty hard to debug.

I'm doing this because mod_auth_mysql no longer seems to work with apache
2.2, but I cannot figure out why mod_dbd doesn't work.