I don't want a dbname param, because different servers ask different
databases for passwords.  However, it doesn't make a difference if I do add
a dbname param.
  Also, I really only have limited skill in C and compiling and running the
entire apache server under a debugger seems daunting. It seems that the
error_log and mysql log should give me enough information to correct
whatever configuration error I have and then I could go from there, but it
doesn't. I also am running sites on this machine.  I had to move machines
and just assumed that mod_auth_mysql would work with the current version of
apache.
   I wish the system returned more information.  I'm working on setting it
up to use apr_dbd_open_ex instead of apr_dbd_open to see if I can get any
error information there, but this is way more than I'm really capable of.