Issue- We have web server with two instances of apache running. Its with
Worker MPM. Traffic is around 4200 hits/min on the server(both instances).
We see server getting into high load raises above 5-6 and most of the CPU
used is in "user space" by httpd process. Its a 2Dual core CPU box.  when
load reaches around 5, i checked vmstat and it gives process in cpu run
queue above 4 or 5. Since its a prod box we get alert and need to bounce.
The server environment is-

Environment - 2 apache instances with corresponding tomcat instances.
Applciation - Used to server a simple .pac file.

Scenario -

OS - RHEL2AS ( 2.4.9-e.40enterprise #1 SMP)
apache- Apache/2.0.48
arch - 32bit
memory - 4GM + 1GB swap

httpd.conf  (worker setting original)

<IfModule worker.c>
#ServerLimit         25
StartServers         2
MaxClients         300
MinSpareThreads     75
MaxSpareThreads    250
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  20000
</IfModule>

KeepAlive is ON. KeaapAliveTime is default(15)

the httpd "RSS" value is appx 4.2MB

Need help in tunning apache so that best use of Hardware resources can be
made.

Thanks
Kulbir