1. I have to rail totally against this. The more you lower
MaxRequestsPerChild, the more often apache is killing and recreating a
child process. At numbers as low as 2000 or lower, you're starting to
defeat the whole purpose of using the worker mpm.

>=50% of apache's time is going to be spent managing child processes on
a high traffic site. MaxRequestsPerChild should either be 0 or something
very high. IF your process memory usage gets higher and higher, then you
have a memory leak somewhere.

2. Don't use ThreadLimit, stick with ThreadsPerChild

3. You MaxClients doesn't sync up to your other numbers. MaxClients is
going to be ServerLimit x ThreadsPerChild. So for you, 1500. If you want
to serve 1500 concurrent reqs, then set MaxClients to match this at
1500. If you want 500, then change ServerLimit,StartServers and
ThreadsPerChild so the math is right. For instance, ServerLimit 10,
StartServers 5, ThreadsPerChild 50 will be you a MaxClients of 500.

If you give us your server parameters (cpu, memory, modules loaded,
apache rss usage, types of files served), we'd be able to better
recommend numbers for what your server can support.

-Tony

Manager, IT Operations

Format Dynamics, Inc.

303-573-1800x27