On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Rex C. Eastbourne
<rex.eastbou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am completely new to Apache. I have a static IP address that's being
> hosted on an Ubuntu server. (I do not own a domain name yet.) I would like
> to have two versions of a web app on my IP address (let's call it X.X.X.X):
>
> test.X.X.X.X
> production.X.X.X.X
>
> Is this possible with Apache? I have gone through the Apache documentation
> on VirtualHosts, which I presume is how I would configure this. Here is what
> I have tried putting in my httpd.conf file
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot /www/production
>     ServerName production.X.X.X.X
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot /www/test
>     ServerName test.X.X.X.X
> </VirtualHost>
>
> However, when I do this, I get the following error message:
>
> [error] VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
> NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
>
> This is probably a very elementary error, but I am new to Apache and am
> having trouble understanding many of these terms. Could anybody provide some
> guidance on how I can get started with this setup?

At first glance what you did is entirely correct. However your apache
instance might be confused by other virtualhost declarations. You say
you are doing this on Ubuntu, right? Are you using the apache that
comes with Ubuntu?

If so, could you tell us the following:
- What file under /etc/apache2 did you modify?
- What is the output of apache2ctl  -S?

Krist

--
krist.vanbes...@gmail.com