On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Krist van Besien <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Rex C. Eastbourne
> <rex.eastbou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am completely new to Apache. I have a static IP address that's being
> > hosted on an Ubuntu server. (I do not own a domain name yet.) I would
> like
> > to have two versions of a web app on my IP address (let's call it
> X.X.X.X):
> >
> > test.X.X.X.X
> > production.X.X.X.X
> >
> > Is this possible with Apache? I have gone through the Apache
> documentation
> > on VirtualHosts, which I presume is how I would configure this. Here is
> what
> > I have tried putting in my httpd.conf file
> >
> > NameVirtualHost *:80
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >     DocumentRoot /www/production
> >     ServerName production.X.X.X.X
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >     DocumentRoot /www/test
> >     ServerName test.X.X.X.X
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > However, when I do this, I get the following error message:
> >
> > [error] VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
> > NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined
> results
> >
> > This is probably a very elementary error, but I am new to Apache and am
> > having trouble understanding many of these terms. Could anybody provide
> some
> > guidance on how I can get started with this setup?
>
> At first glance what you did is entirely correct. However your apache
> instance might be confused by other virtualhost declarations. You say
> you are doing this on Ubuntu, right? Are you using the apache that
> comes with Ubuntu?
>
> If so, could you tell us the following:
> - What file under /etc/apache2 did you modify?
> - What is the output of apache2ctl  -S?
>
> Krist

Hello all,

Thank you for the very helpful replies. Here is the information that was
requested:

- I'm running Apache2 on Ubuntu (on a Slicehost VPS)
- The snippet above is from /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

Here is the output of apache2ctl -S:

====
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
[Tue Mar 17 05:10:16 2009] [error] VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and
non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with
undefined results
[Tue Mar 17 05:10:16 2009] [error] VirtualHost *:80 -- mixing * ports and
non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with
undefined results
[Tue Mar 17 05:10:16 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
         default server production.173.45.243.172
(/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:3)
         port 80 namevhost production.173.45.243.172
(/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:3)
         port 80 namevhost testing.173.45.243.172
(/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:8)
         port * namevhost 127.0.0.1
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:2)
Syntax OK
====

Here is the beginning of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:

===
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin webmas...@localhost

        DocumentRoot /var/www/
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
[rest of file snipped for brevity]
===

So it looks like there is indeed a NameVirtualHost * in another file. What
would be the best modification to make now?

Thank you very much,

Rex