Thanks John, Stephen, and Jonathan for your very helpful and timely

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM, John Ellson <john.ell...@comcast.net>wrote:

>  On 04/25/2009 01:13 PM, Stephen North wrote:
>
> A hunch is that some cache is not seen or is not available.
> Could be the fontconfig cache.  It could be the case that you
> have a ~dyamins/.fontconfig but httpd is not able to create one
> and there is no system cache.
>
> This seems precisely to be the problem.  I do have a ~/.fontconfig
directory containing cache files.  When I delete it, the performance of the
command line script is just as slow as the cgi script until the next time
the command is run (e.g. after the cache is remade).    So I  guess the
question becomes: how do I get apache and the CGI script to see and use the
.fontconfig caches?

Perhaps running dot -v  from a cgi script may shed some light.

> For completeness, I ran this from both .py and .cgi scripts, and they
produced identical results (I pasted the result in at the end of this email)

I don't think this will help.  If "dot -c" hadn't already been run
> successfully
> then the complaint would be about missing formats, rather than performance.

As to the effects of running "dot -c":
1)  It produces the following error message:
          sh: line 1: 67262 Bus error
2)  In both cases, no .svg output is actually produced.

>Also have you thought about reading the apache log? If the time
>differential really is on the apache side I'm sure there will be reams
>of data to slog through

I'm running apache in a pretty verbose state but I'm not seeing much in the
log at all.

Thanks!
Dan

----OUTPUT OF RUNNING "dot -v" (same for .cgi and .py)----------------
dot - graphviz version 2.22.2 (20090313.1817)
Activated plugin library: libgvplugin_pango.6.dylib
Using textlayout: textlayout:cairo
Activated plugin library: libgvplugin_dot_layout.6.dylib
Using layout: dot:dot_layout
Activated plugin library: libgvplugin_core.6.dylib
Using render: svg:core
Using device: svg:svg:core
The plugin configuration file:
    /opt/local/lib/graphviz/config6
        was successfully loaded.
    render    :  cairo dot fig gd map ps quartz svg tk vml vrml xdot
    layout    :  circo dot fdp neato nop nop1 nop2 patchwork twopi
    textlayout    :  textlayout
    device    :  bmp canon cmap cmapx cmapx_np dia dot eps exr fig gd gd2
gif gv hpgl imap imap_np ismap jp2 jpe jpeg jpg mif mp pcl pct pdf pic pict
plain plain-ext png ps ps2 psd sgi svg svgz tga tif tiff tk vml vmlz vrml
vtx wbmp x11 xdot xlib
    loadimage    :  (lib) bmp eps gd gd2 gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png ps svg xbm
fontname: "Times-Roman" resolved to: (ps:pango  Times Roman)
(PangoCairoFcFont) "Times, Regular" *no pathname available*
network simplex:  2 nodes 1 edges maxiter=2147483647 balance=1
network simplex: 2 nodes 1 edges 0 iter 0.00 sec
network simplex:  25 nodes 26 edges maxiter=2147483647 balance=1
network simplex: 25 nodes 26 edges 0 iter 0.00 sec
mincross: pass 0 iter 0 trying 0 cur_cross 0 best_cross 0
mincross: pass 0 iter 0 trying 0 cur_cross 0 best_cross 0
mincross _anonymous_0: 0 crossings, 0.00 secs.
network simplex:  62 nodes 83 edges maxiter=2147483647 balance=2
network simplex: 62 nodes 83 edges 9 iter 0.00 sec
routesplines: 27 edges, 89 boxes 0.00 sec
Using render: svg:core
Using device: svg:svg:core