>If you just rebuild the system caches, does that help?

>   (as root)
>  # rm /var/cache/fontconfig/*
>   # fc-cache -f -v

Well -- so I guess since my fontconfig installation is via macports, Ryan
was right in suggesting that my fontconfig was in /opt/local.  BUt cleaning
it doesn't seemed to have helped.

My graphviz installation is not from macports though -- would this make a
difference?

> When you run your script (any script) as a cgi program under Apache, it
> runs under the user-id under which Apache itself runs.
> That user-id may, or may not, have the same environment as when you run the
> script from the command-line, under (presumbaly) your own user-id.

I've set my apache user to be my username in the httpd.conf file, so
shouldn't that not be an issue?

> If the environment for your own user-id includes some environment variables
> which need to be set to indicate to the script where to find certain things
> (like maybe your .fonconfig cache file(s)),

I don't think it does, at last I don't see anything obvious in my user
environment (where things are fast).