André Warnier wrote:

How exactly is this data being POSTed by the browser ? via a standard POST of an html <form>, or via some Ajax/javascript/java code or the like ?

Ok, I tested that myself, using the page you provided, which is a straight html form, nothing wrong with it.
I uploaded an 800 KB file for testing.
I don't see anything wrong, except for the fact that the server responds "200 OK", but the result html page shows a message "wrong input" (in the html content of that page). But then, that is the output of your cgi script, and I don't know what that one does. As far as I can tell, there is no error during the upload of the file. There might be one when you later process it with the script though.

Do I need to test with a larger file, to see the error ?
Can you post the content of your "test.pl" script ?