Hi

We're running http-2.2.3 with preform MPM and host around 500 sites for many
users. We always do a graceful restart of the server lest some users lose
their session. The server has created a large number of shared memory
segments. We have seen it creating as many as 4030 segments and this number
consistently stays above 1500.

Doing ipcs -m shows that many of these segments have been marked for
destruction but are still attached to some processes. Doing a grep on the
pid of the process that last attached the segment returns nothing. Doing it
in a while loop revealed that there were numerous httpd processes being
spawned that attached the shm segment for a brief time before vanishing.

Why are there so many shared memory segments and are they not freed up by
the main process?Also, could someone please guide me as to why are the
processes dying so fast and replaced by new processes? I guess it has
something to do with the following config:
<IfModule prefork.c>
  StartServers      2
  MinSpareServers   10
  MaxSpareServers   25