Hi André

Our server is handling around 20 requests per second. Please note that this
is not a single site. There are many sites that are hosted on this server.
As requests to host new site keep coming in, we keep reloading the virtual
host config through a graceful restart.

Here are my KeepAlive settings:
   KeepAlive On
   MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
   KeepAliveTimeout 15

Unfortunately, I can't answer why the MaxRequestsPerChild was modified as it
was done by the earlier sysad and there is no documentation left around by
him. I have been reading up a few articles on tuning the apache performance
and am planning to change them as per the requirements of the server.

Please let me know if there is any other config/statistics I can provide
which will help in debugging the issue.

Thanks much for your time,
Chandranshu