"Chandranshu ." <chandran...@gmail.com> writes:

> We changed our script that used to do a graceful restart to also
> record the number of shared memory segments before and after the
> restart. Plotting the number of shm segments vs. the number of times
> the server was restarted gracefully was almost a straight line.

Hello Chandranshu,

When you do a graceful server restart, Apache asks the children to
exit when it's convenient and starts up new children.  So it would not
surprise me to see a short spike in resource consumption until the old
child processes complete.  It would surprise me if it didn't return to
normal after a few minutes, though, and you're seeing the increased
shared memory segments until a server restart, right?  And you suspect
it's a leak somewhere?

A strategy for figuring out what's causing this would be to start off
with a minimal Apache configuration.  You could create a new conf file
with all modules disabled listening on another port and look for the
leak there.  If you still see it, it must be in the Apache core;
otherwise it's in a module.  Keep enabling modules until you start
seeing it, then you know what module it is (you can also enable and
disable groups of modules to do a sort of binary search).  If with the
same set of modules as your production server you still don't see a
leak, it must be some code running under your server, and you can use
the same sort of process to bring in different pieces of code until
you see the leak.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

----Scott.