Brian Kim wrote:
Hi all.

The basic configuration is as follows

  (1)               (2)                       (3)                    (4)
Users -------- switch -------- (eth2 ------ eth0) ------ WWW

Users located in (1) will access WWW via http Apache server in (3).

For non-transparent proxy, every user across the proxy has to set up
proxy configuration

by putting proxy IP address. Again, I just want to make users access
WWW without the setup.

In other words, (3) proxy should be transparent.

I think there might be a flaw in your thinking above.
Most probably, the real setup is not *only* what you indicate above.
In reality, it is like this :

>   (1)               (2)                       (3)                    (4)
> Users -------- switch -------- (eth2 ------ eth0) ------ WWW

                 (router)

                   WWW

In other words, when the user enters "http://www.google.com"; in the URL bar of his browser, what happens is :

- the browser does a DNS lookup for "www.google.com", and obtains an IP address. Say this is : 74.125.39.99 (just guessing).

- then the browser sets up a TCP connection with the IP address 74.125.39.99, port 80, and sends a HTTP request like :
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.google.com

on that connection

- most likely, this TCP connection goes through (router), not through (eth2--eth0). That is because the users workstations probably have "(router)" set up as their default gateway (at the TCP network setup level, not at the browser level).

If you do not "tell" these browsers that for HTTP connections, they have to use "(eth2--eth0)" as a "proxy", then how are they going to know any different ?