From: Tom Evans [mailto:tevans...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 7:20 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] File does not exist error in my error log

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 17:28 +0530, Kamaraj, Jayakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I recently upgraded from apache 1.3.37 to 1.3.41 ,I didn't change
> any of the configuration parameter.
>     When I am using the apache 1.3.37 ,my http logs contain only 404
> request, but there is no  equivalent error line in  error_log file
> ,provided LogLevel equals error .
>
>     Even with same LogLevel under apache 1.3.41 we are getting 404
> request in our http log ,along with these we are also getting the
> error [Mon Aug 24 05:00:29 2009] [error] [client 85.185.96.194] File
> does not exist in our error_logs.
>     How to suppress only this error 'File does not exist ' not appear
> in my error log ?
>      If possible provide me the reason why it is getting logged in
> apache 1.3.41 but not in 1.3.37 .
>
> Thanks,
> Jai

This code hasn't changed between 1.3.37 and 1.3.41, so any effect you
are seeing is misidentified. Are you sure that you didn't get them with
the earlier version, or that you are logging at the exact same log
level?
To answer your question, this error is logged at APLOG_ERR (in both
versions), so you would see it in 'error' and higher LogLevels. If you
want to suppress it, you must log at a lower level if you do not want to
see it, eg 'crit', 'alert' or 'emerg'. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#loglevel for more
details.

Cheers

Tom