From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 6:47 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] File does not exist error in my error log

Kamaraj, Jayakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For your questions here are my possible answers
>
> Which kind of platform ?
>
> Linux fw01 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6PAE #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:22 EDT 2006
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Error line in http access log :
>
> 2009-08-24~05:28:22~10.*.*.*~-~test123.com~pw12~10.183.22.42~GET~/2.
> jpg~~404~0~19910~-~0~Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2~s_cc=true/***truncated**/
>
> Error line in error_log :
>
> [Mon Aug 24 05:28:22 2009] [error] [client 10.180.4.3] File does not exist:
> /data/*/www/2.jpg .
>
> The url tried is http://jkamarajfree.9f.com/2.jpg That file is not
> existing in the server also .We expected the 404 error in http access log but
> not the equivalent file doesnot exist error in error_log.

Well, basically if the file does not exist, and a client is trying to access
it, you will get such an error line in the error log.
That is how Apache works, and it is the case in all Apache versions which I
know, including 2.x.
It is, after all, an error.

Now the question is, why does that client try to access a file that does not
exist ?
Is it one of your own pages that has a bad link in it ?

 > The DocumentRoot directive is not defined in the conf file, since it is
 > shared host type.

That is something I do not really understand.
But I guess that the hosting organisation must be doing some heavy
URL-rewriting, to accomodate many "virtual" sites.
You could also ask them if they do not know a trick to hide these error
messages, if that is what you really want.
I personally would advise against it, because you would also not see whenever
someone is really trying to scan your site for security weaknesses etc..

Now another purely personal opinion : this kind of "web server sharing"
is ok if this is your own personal website, for non-professional use.
But if you intend to do any serious professional stuff on this website, then
you really want your own full webserver, with full control over the
configuration.