On Sep 22, 2009, at 08:56 , J. Bakshi wrote:

Rich Bowen wrote:

On Sep 22, 2009, at 08:24 , J. Bakshi wrote:

Well there is one side effect for the web hosting server.  Generally
these type of servers host a huge no. of vhosts. And the CustomLog
options then creates a serious performance issue. To cope with that an alternative is to log all the vhost at a common file and then break it
to different vhost specific logs. I am searching how to do that. any
help in that direction is always welcome.

By adding the %v variable to the beginning of the LogFormat string,
you'll have the hostname as the first thing in the log entry. You can
then split the logs after the fact using the utility called
split-logfile that comes with
Apache: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/other.html

Hello Rich,

My thinking is also flowing on the same direction.  I think we need a
cron to repeatedly generate ( and append ) the log. But still not
sufficient to produce real time log.

Then you have conflicting requirements. I think that logging to a database - like the suggested mod_log_mysql - is the right way to do it. Your assessment that logging to a database would be slower than logging to the file system doesn't seem to be accurate. It's going to be a lot faster.

--
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com