> So what happend to the proxy? You're securing a directory...

Well, I decided to check things step by step. It was rather a good
idea, since even authenticate a single directory does not work !

> Other than that I'd make sure an openldap command line client
> (e.g. ldapsearch binding with the DN given in AuthLDAPBindDN) is able
> to connect from your webserver to your DSA (that assumes you have
> shell access to the webserver, of course).

I did this at first. I believe it works, since I'm able to retrieve
information that concerns me. I don't need to authenticate myself on
the OpenLDAP server to get most information. But I need to do so if I
want to retrieve, for example, the hash of my password. To be honest,
I essentially know nothing about LDAP. I believed that RTFM would be
sufficient...

> If you capture traffic from the webserver to the DSA you could also
> feed the capture file to wireshark (or something similar). Looking in
> the DSAs logfile is a bit easier (which assumes you have access to the
> logs, of course).

The web server is under my control, the LDAP server is not. Thus I
certainly can do a pcap capture (ngrep/tshark) and view it with
WireShark...

> From your config I take it that the DSA does not require
> confidentiality (no STARTTLS or -- deprecated -- LDAPS)?

Well, the server can undoubtly support SSL/TLS connections, but my
ldapsearch command is straightforward, on port 389, without any
refinement...

I wrote in a quick and dirty manner a small Python script which is
able to authenticate an user against the LDAP server. I really don't
understand why Apache can't ! Is there a possible issue on the LDAP
server side ?

Regards,

Al