I'm running: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8k mod_jk/1.2.26

I have these two virtual hosts set up (I added a space between 'xten' and 'it' to keep search engines from picking this email up) :

<VirtualHost 199.107.233.199:443 >
ServerName segments.xten it.com

<snip>

#use this virt host if the servername matches *.a.xten it.com
<VirtualHost 199.107.233.199:443 >
ServerName  a.xten it.com
#ServerName can't have a *, it has to go in ServerAlias
ServerAlias  *.a.xten it.com

I have these two virtual hosts because recently Firefox stopped accepting our certificate that had *.*.xten it.com as the CN. I added a new virtual host with a new certificate for *.a.xten it.com and this setup works most of the time, but today I find that when I go to https://thomasnet-m.a.xten it.com/ in Firefox I'm getting a ssl cert warning because I'm getting the certificate for *.*.xten it.com instead of the certificate for *.a.xten it.com. All other domains I have tried like https://jks-m.a.xten it.com/ do work.

Now here's the kicker: When I click through the warning in Firefox my logs show that I am going to the second virtual host, the one with the that *.a certificate, even though I'm using the *.* certificate. So how is it apache is sending me to the correct virtual host but serving up the wrong certificate?

More tidbits:
 I have the exact same setup on port 444, but port 444 is fine.
This was working for me yesterday. I restarted my desktop since then, but not apache. My browser is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090909 Fedora/3.5.3-1.fc11 Firefox/3.5.3 This problem has happened a few times since I installed the new certificate but hasn't been reliably reproduceable.
 Firefox 3.5.3 for windows (run in wine) does not have this problem.