On Nov 10, 2009, at 08:19 , Stephen Love wrote:

I have set up a routine in my server that logs all incoming IP addresses and parses for duplicates in the same list. HOWEVER...a person posting almost NEVER has the same address. I believe I am not using the actual IP Address at all. What I WANT is the actual SERIAL NUMBER (If you could call it that!) of the HARDWARE (Network Adapter) actually sending the message, or its REPLY TO address... the address it is COMMUNICATING FROM in order to actually send the message. I am SURE if it is to establish a 2-way link to send and confirm the message, the receiving end HAS that info, buried deep within what it receives. HOW can I get that, so that the route steps inbetween do not matter?

No, you can't. It's impossible. That information (the MAC address) doesn't make it past the first hop, and there's numerous pieces of hardware (routers, firewalls, proxy servers, etc) between client and server. The receiving end does NOT have that info, buried or otherwise. It's simply not there.

--
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com