On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Daniel Reinhardt
<crypto...@cryptodan.net> wrote:

> Actually it has everything to do with it.  IPv6 is useless to me on a small
> HOME LAN of 5 computers.  It should be disabled by default, and an allowable
> option by those who wish to use IPv6.  It shouldn't be forced down peoples
> throats.  Its like how Linux/Unix Distribution Creaters forcing IPv6 in a
> kernel when someone may not have a need for it or find it useless.  They
> should instead build their distributions with IPv4 enabled by default, and
> include a IPv6 enabled Kernel for those who want to use it.  As such so
> should software developers, they should create their software and distribute
> it with default settings enabled, such as ipv6 being disabled unless wanted
> by the end-user.  Those who desire IPv6 functionality should be the only
> ones wanting to compile their software and kernels with such goals in mind.

It's not forced down your throat. You can safely ignore IPv6 if you're
not using it. Even if your linux machine enables IPv6 by default, and
starts and IPv6 interface you don't have to worry about things
breaking because of it. If your router doesn't route IPv6 you still
don't have to worry about some devices in your network bringing up
IPv6 interfaces.

Linux disrtro maintainers include IPv6 because the aim is to provide a
kernel that everyone can use, without having to recompile. Another aim
is to incourage people to actually start using IPv6. ISPs will soon
start to provide their customers with routers that support IPv6, so
this is in my opinion a wise decision. It's a bit like TV
manucfaturers including a DVB-T tuner in their offerings, even though
most people don't have a need for it, yet.

Krist

--
krist.vanbes...@gmail.com
kr...@vanbesien.org