Hi,

After some years out of the Apache discussion, I'm back for a quite specific
question... ;-)

We have been running Apache HTTP Server 2.0 for some years now. Everything
works fine as expected but I think we encounter something that can only be a
bug.

We are using _name based virtual hosts_ and mod_rewrite. Each virtual host is
defined in a specific conf file that is included by httpd.conf

Let's say:

FileA:
<VirtualHost ip:port>
ServerName nameA1.org
ServerAlias nameA2.org
[...]
</VirtualHost>

FileB:
<VirtualHost ip:port>
ServerName nameB1.org
ServerAlias nameB2.org
[...]
</VirtualHost>

(yes, I'm talking about same ip:port)

One day nameB1.org started not to work properly: requests to, say
http://nameB1.org/  didn't go to FileB, but were treated by httpd.conf. We
could see that in log files. A simple restart and the problem was fixed. A few
weeks later, the problem reoccured and we realized it happend just after a
restart we had done (without changing FileB at all).

Today we realized we had the problem again: I double checked logs and saw it
started after a restart I made. I tested that requests to nameB2.org worked,
_not_ nameB1.org: they were treated by httpd.conf and ended as "forbidden"
(because of course the proper Rewrite rules are in the appropriate virtualhost).

In a word: _sometimes_ when we restart Apache, one of our many
servernames/aliases doesn't go to the proper virtualhost, it is treated by
httpd.conf.

Answers to some questions you might ask:
- we are running 2.0.58
- This is _always the same servername_ that fails.
- the actual servername that bugs is of the form
www.aservername.co.za<http://www.aservername.co.za/> (something with the double
country extension?? - we do have other servers of the form .co.uk, co.il, etc
and they work as expected)
- I checked that the servername appears only in the proper virtual host
- I verified that DNS resolution stayed correct: the IP is always the one from
the correct virtualhost, it SHOULD work.
- note that a serveralias in the same virtualhost still works: in fact, it's
ServerName www.something.com<http://www.something.com> and ServerAlias
something.com. something.com goes to the correct virtualhost,
www.something.com<http://www.something.com> doesn't.
- originaly the servername was one of many serveraliases in a virtualhost. We
extracted it to a separate virtualhost and conf file but the problem still
occurs.

Any idea???

Thanks!

Olivier