I don't agree. The OP wants to compare the speed of two applications. The
network congestion (for instance) is extraneous to those applications. Ie how
fast they can accept, process and respond to a request has nothing to do with
congestion -- congestion affects how fast the network can transport the
response to the user. If you run the two apps simultaneously over long enough
period of time, then the impact "congestion", available bandwidth, and other
extraneous factors will be the same for both apps and hence will appear as a
common denominator that can be thrown out.

I think that for the OP's purpose it is perfectly valid and sensible to use
localhost, assuming the host isn't in use by other users/server apps (but again
this would just lead to a common offset for the timings). Why complicate your
testing? throw it out from the start.

Oliver