On 15-Jan-2010, at 09:29, Jarrod Slick wrote:
> I'm curious -- why do you think that the results will be inconsistent?  If
> anything I would be inclined to think that using localhost would improve
> consistency as extraneous variables like network congestion at the time of
> testing would not be present.

Are all your webpages going to be served only to localhost users? If not, then
the test is completely invalid and only serves to show how the servers respond
in a very narrow and very specific and largely useless setup that does not
reflect the real world use in any meaningful way.

Sure, it's nice to think that 'eliminating network congestion' will make the
servers serve 'faster', but faster in an artificial setup does not imply actual
speed in a real world installation.

Run thousands of test across multiple connections from multiple sources for
each server if you want to see what the performance is ACTUALLY like.

--
'They think they want good government and justice for all, Vimes, yet what is
it they really crave, deep in their hearts? Only that things go on as normal