On 15-Jan-2010, at 10:08, Jarrod Slick wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jarrod Slick <jar...@e-sensibility.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What about having a private VLAN between a testing machine and the apache
>>> machine.  I suppose that would solve the resource separation problem between
>>> the benchmarking tool and the web server.  Can you think of any problems
>>> with this type of setup?
>>
>> It doesn't model the traffic real clients would generate very well,
>> unless you expect them to be on the same vlan too.
>
> Yes, but the mission is just to see which webserver is "better" in terms of
> performance.

"better" in terms of what KIDN of performance? Serving web pages to real users
or serving a completely artificial set of non-real world users with a
completely artificial set of non-real world pages?

If this is simply an epeen contest then it's pretty worthless and no one is
lily to be very interested.

> So, I should be more specific with my question:  to the end of determining
> strictly which webserver is more efficient do you see any problems with this
> type of setup?

More 'efficient' I think you mean.

> And another question: how would you do it differently?  Sure, in an ideal
> world I could assemble my own botnet and then blast my corporate network with
> a gigabit of distributed traffic multiple times for each webserver -- but
> obviously in the real world that's not going to happen.

The question you have to ask yourself is what are you wanting to test? A
completely artificial metric with no real-world correlation? If so, then you're
on the right track.

--
I love as only I can, with all my heart