@Jeff
The last request made before it goes out of control doesn't seem to be
unique in any way, it appears to be the Yandex spider just crawling one of
the sites:
87.250.252.242 - - [25/Jan/2010:11:38:00 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 301 359 "-"
"Yandex/1.01.001 (compatible; Win16; I)"
That was the very last request made before the Apache process went haywire.
I don't see anything unique about that hit, I see a fair number of hits from
the same bot on a daily basis.  If you look through the zip I attached
earlier the entire access_log and error_log are there.  Nothing stood out to
me, though I'm no expert.

Thanks,
--
Dan

http://www.moonlightrpg.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danbunyard
http://www.danodemano.com
http://www.dansrandomness.com
http://www.danandshelley.com

This is not a problem that requires infinite wisdom, Benj. This is a problem
that requires enough neural organization to qualify as a vertebrate,
apparently a stretch for some folks these days.
~Cecil Adams.