From: "Dan Bunyard" <danodem...@gmail.com>
Sent: 28 January, 2010 19:28
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] Re: Runaway Apache Process

@Peter
Is there database access during this? I'm not sure, a few people mentioned
checking this the next time it happened, so I will check

-What external dependencies are there (if any)?
    - Databases? There are some LOCAL database calls to MySQL running on
the same server, that it all
    - External Calls?

-Do you have high timeouts on anything?  Not sure what you mean hear, when
this happens pages take a VERY long time to load, if at all

-Is it just very inefficient code?  Not likely, the same code has been used
on other machines withouh any problem.

At this point (in my experience), if you do not see a clear indication of
the issue in the apache logs, it's not apache.  I have enabled forensic
logging to help trace the problem the next time it happens.

@Daniel Reinhardt
I don't really think that CPU is the issue.  As others have mentioned the
hits are very low and I simply host a few blogs, some dev sites, and other
misc things.  I once ran an very popular game site (getting upwards of 1
million hits a month with a database back end) on a low-end Athlon XP
processor with 768MB of RAM and it ran fine.  It was Win 2000 running Xampp.

I am running 64Bit Fedora currently but I don't believe that RAM is the
issue either.

I will be sure to block that IP address.

@Nicholas Sherlock
That is correct, I don't run anything very impressive at all, with the
exception of a few domains, most of them don't even really have much if
anything on them.  The server handles mail also (though I just put mail on
it a week or two ago, after the first time this happened) but it just
forwarding them all to external addresses.

@Justin Pasher
I agree, I have run MUCH higher traffic on a much lower end machine.  I
truly do not believe the system spec to be the problem as the first time
this happened there was only 2 web site on the box.

@Eric Covener
I completely agree, this does not seem to be from a lack of resources.

Thanks,
--
Dan

http://www.moonlightrpg.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danbunyard
http://www.danodemano.com
http://www.dansrandomness.com
http://www.danandshelley.com

This is not a problem that requires infinite wisdom, Benj. This is a problem
that requires enough neural organization to qualify as a vertebrate,
apparently a stretch for some folks these days.
~Cecil Adams.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:18, <pmilan...@nypl.org> wrote:

> > Obviously not in this case as this person wouldn't ne here complaining
about
> > apache and its processes.  The issue here is the CPU is too weak even
if it
> > is a 2.4Ghz processor.  The E2220 isn't suitable for a server
processor.
> >  Its strictly for home computing.  I help remote administrate a server
that
> > supports 10 Domains and 5 E-Mail Servers that receive a whole lot more
> > traffic on a P3 933Mhz and these issues are not occurring there, and
the
> > settings for Apache are default.
>
> Having lots of processes hanging around doesn't imply high CPU usage
> or insufficient horsepower.

Is there database access during this? High load is not indicative of the
CPU working hard. High load, in this case, is due to the CPU not getting
answers back fast enough, and processes queueing up (eventually shutting
down apache). It will consume all available threads (connections), then
start killing the box.

-What external dependencies are there (if any)?
     - Databases?
     - External Calls?

-Do you have high timeouts on anything?

-Is it just very inefficient code?

At this point (in my experience), if you do not see a clear indication of
the issue in the apache logs, it's not apache.

Peter J. Milanese

> --
> Eric Covener
> cove...@gmail.com

Dan,

Can you do a top and do a screenshot, and post the results here. Can you also post a copy of netstat -anp as well as ps auxww. This will give us a better idea of what is going on with your system.

Thanks,
Daniel