> > Obviously not in this case as this person wouldn't ne here complaining
about
> > apache and its processes.  The issue here is the CPU is too weak even
if it
> > is a 2.4Ghz processor.  The E2220 isn't suitable for a server
processor.
> >  Its strictly for home computing.  I help remote administrate a server
that
> > supports 10 Domains and 5 E-Mail Servers that receive a whole lot more
> > traffic on a P3 933Mhz and these issues are not occurring there, and
the
> > settings for Apache are default.
>
> Having lots of processes hanging around doesn't imply high CPU usage
> or insufficient horsepower.

Is there database access during this? High load is not indicative of the
CPU working hard. High load, in this case, is due to the CPU not getting
answers back fast enough, and processes queueing up (eventually shutting
down apache). It will consume all available threads (connections), then
start killing the box.

-What external dependencies are there (if any)?
      - Databases?
      - External Calls?

-Do you have high timeouts on anything?

-Is it just very inefficient code?

At this point (in my experience), if you do not see a clear indication of
the issue in the apache logs, it's not apache.

Peter J. Milanese