Well I think I need to contact RoadRunner. It looks like they are blocking port 80. From another PC connected to the same router, I can access my webpage usinging my locally assigned IP address in a browser window. Does it sound like this assumption is correct?

My web site is for my family genealogy information. Why should I pay more money when I'm truly not a business customer?

Paul McFerrin wrote:
Wow, my base site at http://localhost works !!!
Second: windows firewall is in fact disabled.
Third: infection due to unsafe surfing which is history now.
Fourth: To reload. Complete Installation including FORMAT from a XP Pro CD that included all of the updates thru SP3 on one CD. Everything else reinstalled from disk copies I've kept over the years. No further updates.

Service: Residential. This is very low traffic. My email and download traffic is considerable more. TIMING COINCIDENCE??? Maybe. I hate to contact them and raise their level of suspicion.

Daniel Reinhardt wrote:

Paul,

First of all I would check to see if you can bring up your site by typing in http://localhost or http://internalprivatelanip your external IP address is forwarded to the correct internal private lan IP address like so:

External IP:80 > Firewall > Internal IP:80

Second thing I would try is to verify that the windows firewall is in fact disabled, and all security applications are disabled.

Third, how did you get infected if you have a good hardware firewall configured? Obviously you would have all all outbound allowed, and only select services like http allowed in. This would prevent malicious people from connecting to your machine. And call backs from being allowed.

Finally, how did you install Windows XP Pro, did you reformat the drive and start anew then applied all updates, and installed all your applications? If you just installed over your copy of XP, then you may have gotten infected again. I would try scanning with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php.

I notice you use Road Runner as your ISP, are you a business subscriber or a residential one? If the latter, then road runner may have blocked port 80 for you since residential account subscribers are not allowed to run servers.

Thanks,
Daniel