From: "Programmer In Training" <p...@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Sent: 12 February, 2010 23:03
To: "Apache Users" <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: [us...@httpd] User Directories On FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE

I am using the non-ports version of Apache. I downloaded 2.2.14 from
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#apache22 just a little while ago. I
compiled, installed, got it running with minimal fuss. The issue is with
my user directories (e.g. $HOME/public_html ). I uncommented the line to
include the userdir conf file in the main configuration and started
apache. I get the "It Works" from 127.0.0.1 (this is purely for local
testing). When I go to 127.0.0.1/~usrname/ I get 403 Forbidden. I've
adjusted some of the settings in the userdir conf (had to adjust the
absolute path as the default is just a symlink to the real dir (FreeBSD
setup, not mine)) and I still get the same message. I returned the
userdir.conf file to it's default settings (except for the path to user
dirs) with no luck. Included below is the default setup that was
installed with Apache (I enabled the settings to install the local
manual and that pulls up just fine, nothing in it points to a solution
to this issue) for the userdir conf file.

<Directory "/munge/*/public_html">
   AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
   Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
   <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Limit>
   <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
   </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

Am I just having a case of the stupids here? It has been a few years
since I've managed Apache even for local testing.
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT

Here is my httpd-userdir.conf file:

# Settings for user home directories
#
# Required module: mod_userdir

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.  Note that you must also set
# the default access control for these directories, as in the example below.
#
UserDir public_html

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
<Directory "/home/*/public_html">
   AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
   Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
   <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Limit>
   <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
   </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

~
The above works just fine.

However, I need a new router as the one I have has crappy/bugged firmware on it.

Thanks,
Daniel