At 19:33 +0200 7/23/10, Thorsten Steinbrenner wrote:
>Again, thanks a lot for your help! My problem is, that I use the WebDAV
>server to sync with zotero (http://www.zotero.org). Zotero uses WebDAV
>to store attachments for library items. This is why I have to use WebDAV
>and unfortunately not SSH or FTP... :-(
>
>Since the sync did not work properly I asked for help on Zotero support
>forum. Dan Stillman (one of the "brains" and programmers behind Zotero)
>figured out, that I probably have a problem with my WebDAV server and
>not with a bug of Zotero itself ("It's your WebDAV server, not Zotero.
>The server is returning a 204, and the timestamp isn't changing."). I
>assume that Zotero uses libcurl to update the file "lastsync" since he
>suggested to use curl to test the issue ("You should be able to test
>this with your server with curl, at any rate."). This is why I (1) use
>curl to test and (2) use WebDAV at all...
>
>curl with --verbose:
>
>apfel:~ ts$ curl -T empty -u zotero:secret --verbose
>http://abc.d/zotero/empty
>* About to connect() to abc.de port 80 (#0)
>*   Trying 12.34.56.78... connected
>* Connected to abc.de (12.34.56.78) port 80 (#0)
>* Server auth using Basic with user 'zotero'
>> PUT /zotero/empty HTTP/1.1
>> Authorization: Basic xyz==
>> Expect: 100-continue
>>
>< HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
>< Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:14:29 GMT
>< Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.2
>PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.10 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
><
>* Connection #0 to host billroth.de left intact
>* Closing connection #0
>
>Do you think it is a curl issue? Then I would probably go ahead and ask
>for help on the curl mailing list....

It doesn't look like a problem with the curl tool. It attempted an HTTP PUT
request and properly told the server that the file length was zero. Libcurl has
its own list <http://cool.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/curl-library>. If mod_webdav
uses the curl library that would be a place to look.

But your curl tool call clearly went to port 80 and was processed by WebDAV
probably in the mod_webdav addition. That was where the 204 rejection came
from. Apache, or the mod, refused to complete, or even start processing with a
continue reply, the request because no file content (zero length) was going to
be sent. It sounds like a bug to me though reasonable folks might disagree.

The Server: HTTP header doesn't mention mod_webdav. Are we sure it's there?
Those things are out of my expertise. Could you be getting to a different
instance of Apache?

Does mod-webdav put out any log files? I'm out of my chosen field there. Can
you put a couple of nulls in the "empty file" without messing up your Zotero
interface?  date > empty ?

--
--> Marriage and kilo are troubled words. Turmoil results when centuries-old
usage is altered in specialized jargon <--.