On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 19:27, Mike Soultanian <msoul...@csulb.edu> wrote:
> Hi!
> I have three servers, all of which are running Apache: F is the failing
> server, P is the main production server, and I is the interim server.
>
> Our current site is here on server F (failing server):
>
> http://cota.csulb.edu

It looks like a whole different subnet, so I assume it is running
within your department.

> That server is failing - I need to get the site off of that server
> immediately.  I have posted a new version of the site on server P (the good
> production server):
>
> http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota

I'm guessing you have limited access there, to only a set of
subdirectories that include that one (or maybe just that one).

> Everyone has been using "cota.csulb.edu" so I can't just kill off that DNS
> name.  The normal thing to do would be to update the DNS entry and point it
> to server P (production server) and update the VirtualHost entry on that
> server - the problem is that it can't be done for another couple weeks (IT
> department won't do it right away as it involves restarting all of the
> servers and a whole change management process).

Remind me to not ever set up any kind of change management processes
like that.  Sounds like IT is "top heavy".

I really don't know why restarting servers is such a big deal.  if it
has such a wide impact, sounds like the server itself has too much on
it.

> So, what I would like to do in the interim is to point the DNS entry to
> server I (interim server) which has Apache running on it and just forward
> all cota.csulb.edu users straight over to http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota
> - it doesn't even need to keep the same URL in the address bar - I just need
> the user transferred over to the new site location.

Why can't server I (interim server) just become the effective
production server just for "cota.csulb.edu" by having the content from
server F copied there. You'd already be putting a virtual host
configuration in there, anyway.  Is it a space issue?  A demand load
issue?

> This seems like it should be an easy thing to do, but I honestly have no
> idea how to do it and I would really appreciate your help!

You might want to consider that the difficulty in undoing things that
make users used to "http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota"; is greater.
If you had the "cota" site separate, you should keep it separate, so
you have more discrete control.  You can't just replace server F with
a similar configured new server?

--
sHiFt HaPpEnS!