On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:41, Mike Soultanian <msoul...@csulb.edu> wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 9:33 AM, Phil Howard wrote:
>>
>> No backup staff ... ouch.
>
> budget cuts? :)

Down to one administrator, I assume.

> there is no plan to get them out of that folder -
> www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota is the final resting place, and will be for the
> foreseeable future until the campus switches to a CMS.

Oh, I thought you were going to do a VirtualHost for cota.csulb.edu.

> I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original post, but
> http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/cota is to be the permanent resting place for
> the website.  cota.csulb.edu is to be depreciated so I have no reason to
> keep that alive.

OK, so you'll be doing redirects on server I until the admin comes
back, then do redirects on server P under VirtualHost for depricated
hosts (www.)cota.csulb.edu from then on.

Your choice.  If you are allowed to do VirtualHost on server P, then I
don't see why not keep (www.)cota.csulb.edu alive.  It's more flexible
for you since it allows moving the site to other servers in the
future.  In fact, if I were the lead admin there, I'd even mandate
that for every department, just to give ME the flexibility to move
things around between servers (as well as allowing departments to take
over their sites onto their own servers any time they wish).

OTOH, if they have such difficulty doing a service restart (not
rebooting the whole machine, but just a "service apache2 restart" or
equivalent depending on OS), then I can see how making each department
a directory is easier (the whole web server won't be down for 3
seconds just to add a directory).  But then, how often are new
departments created?

--
sHiFt HaPpEnS!