On April 6, 2011 0:12 , Ishita Kapadiya <ishim...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I tried to test apache with stress test using JMETER and
results are not really good compared to sun one web server 6.1 running
on the same machine.

i guess worker mpm should work better than prefork..right? I didn't
try prefork yet but do you think it's worth to check with that mpm
once? I have tried so many things to tune config but all the time no
better result than shown above for apache. You can see sun one web
server had better numbers in each fields.

Hopefully someone else will have better ideas than me. But my guess is that there is nothing wrong with your configuration: I get results similar to yours in terms of the time required for an HTTPS benchmark divided by the time for an HTTP benchmark (both using a fairly recent build of httpd 2.3.12-dev). Performance measurements that have been published on stackoverflow.com and other sites also show a similar ratio. So you may have found a situation where the code for Sun ONE Web Server is better than Apache HTTP Server.

My suggestions include:

- Is this a problem that is actually negatively affecting you in the real world, or is it just something that you feel "should be" faster? If it is not actually causing real-world problems, I recommend ignoring the performance difference. My situation is different from yours, but I have run many large, active sites that only use HTTPS (no HTTP) and this performance difference has never caused me actual problems.

- Put an SSL-terminating appliance in front of your web server. This could help, especially if the appliance does much of its work in specialized hardware.

- Investigate the mod_ssl and openssl code plus TLS protocol dumps and see if you can determine where the performance bottleneck is, then re-write the code to fix the problem. Or see if someone else (perhaps on the developers' list) has the time and interest to take this on as a project instead.

Sorry I can't give you better answers.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org