I don't understand why this question got no responses .

Surely it is not an unreasonable request to ask the server to support
SSI requests like :
  \<\!\-\-\#include virtual\=\"include/head.html\"\-\-\>
 without also exporting "include/*" to be available to HTTP/S requests ?

Of what meaning to users could a "head.html" or "footer.html" fragment be
expected to be ?

I think httpd's SSI implementation is somewhat broken in that it appears
impossible to include a fragment
without exposing the fragment to valid HTTP/S requests .

This is the main reason I use HTML::Mason's '$m->comp(...)"  instead of SSI
includes, which, IMHO,
SHOULD be a useful httpd feature, but ISN'T , for the above reason.

What I've ended up having to do to allow non-Mason html pages to include
fragments with SSI without exposing the
 fragments to users is to write a "handler"  in "C" for all "include/*" content
that parses internal Apache data structures
 to see if the request orginated with an "SSI" , and only if it did,  returns
the content .

If anyone else would find such a handler module useful, I'll post it here -
otherwise can anyone explain how else to set
up apache to allow SSI requests but NOT allow  HTTP/S requests for a fragment ?

Thanks in advance for any responses (which I really do not expect to receive
after all this time on this issue ! )
and thanks for giving the world its best HTTP/S server

Regards, Jason