On Wednesday 06 April 2011 16:22:46 Eric Covener wrote:
> > Yes, but even with "file" the server will still "serve" those files and
> > they must still be "accessable"
> > to HTTP/S requests -
>
> It will serve them (outside of SSI) if you configure it to, but I
> don't see it as a requirement as it is with virtual.

Yes, but if my $some_dir is outside of any <Directory ...>  I can't include it
- the url gets prefixed with whatever <Directory > the document the user
originally requested was in,
because EVERY page on my site uses relative URLs to access site pages - it so
simplifies re-basing - and if it's inside a <Directory ...> ,  users can
request it,  and you cannot create
another Sub <Directory >  for it and then say 'deny from all' for that
sub-directory  because then SSI includes are denied .
So I create a handler :
   AddHandler ssi-fragment ".inc" ".ssi"
and
  <Directory "/var/www/my_site" ...> ...
  </Directory>
  Alias "include/" "/var/www/include/"
  <Directory "/var/www/include" ...>
   SetHandler ssi-fragment
   allow from all
  </Directory>
and my fragments are all named ".inc" ,  and ALL files under /var/www/include
have the ".inc" extension ,
and "ssi-fragment" is a c shared-library module that determines if the request
came from SSI or not;
 if it did,  it completes the request, and if it did not, aborts the request
with 403 (forbidden).
I still don't see how else to overcome this problem with apache's SSI.

All the best,
Jason