On 05/22/2011 09:42 PM, Macks, Aaron wrote:
the only reasons I'd possibly suggest #2 are:
1.  multiple SSL certs, it is still not easy to have multiple SSL certs on a
single system, you either need to setup multiple IP addresses for that box or
run on multiple virtualservers

All modern browsers now support Server Name Indication (SNI), which allow you to run SSL vhosts.

2.  If you expect the business to get HUGE for some of the sites, then you can
spin up more VServers for only the sites that need to handle more traffic...
Then you're probably talking about dedicated loadbalancers and much more
hardware anyway

so barring those 2 conditions, I agree 100% with Jeroen that #1 is the way to go

Aaron Macks
Sr. Unix Systems Engineer

Harvard Business Publishing
300 North Beacon St.    |   Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 783-7461                |   Fax: (617) 783-7467
www.harvardbusiness.org |   Cell:(978) 317-3614