> ...is it possible that mod_deflate works by chunks...

Why are you doing this?  It's not to increase client-side performance because
correct me if I'm wrong here but it's been my
understanding that the web browser cannot start decompressing the page until it
receives the final chunk.  Based on that, there's no
advantage to the client in receiving a deflated page in chunks.

And regarding host-side performance: In my experience, compression happens so
fast there wouldn't seem to be much performance gain
on the host side by switching over to chunked but maybe I'm missing the boat?

Thanks,

Geoff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunked_transfer_encoding

"Chunked transfer encoding can be used to delimit parts of the compressed
object. In this case the chunks are not individually
compressed. Instead, the complete payload is compressed and the output of the
compression process is chunk encoded. In the case of
compression, chunked encoding has the benefit that the compression can be
performed on the fly while the data is delivered, as
opposed to completing the compression process beforehand to determine the final
size."