On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Geoff Millikan
<gmilli...@t1shopper.com> wrote:

>> ...is it possible that mod_deflate works by chunks...
>
> Why are you doing this?  It's not to increase client-side performance because
> correct me if I'm wrong here but it's been my
> understanding that the web browser cannot start decompressing the page until
> it receives the final chunk.  Based on that, there's no
> advantage to the client in receiving a deflated page in chunks.

I am finding little information about these details online.

Goal is to get the HEAD of HTML documents in the client side as soon
as possible for dynamic pages where content generation may need some
time. If that's possible, client will fetch assets in HEAD while
content is generated, thus having a more responsive page (generally
speaking, to see where I am heading).

This combination would be useful if:

a) The web server is able to compress without needing the whole
payload, eg, it would dechunk a few chunks, compress, and stream its
own chunked response on the fly.

b) The client is able to deflate and process the uncompressed HTML
as the chunks come, rather than needing all the chunks (what's the
point of chunked compressed responses otherwise?).

Sorry I am not familiar with the underlying compression algorithms to
make an educated guess.

If a) or b) do not hold, then there's little point.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, or point to authoritative sources?
I'd appreciate it.