On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Richard Taubo <o...@bergersen.no> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I originally set my virtual host up like this in my httpd.conf file:
>
> <snip>
>
> Question 1)
> Are there any problems running a):
>        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]
> Rather than b):
>        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]
> ?
> Will e.g. a slash always be added as a part of $1 in a) if it exists in the
> original url query (as caught by the RewriteCond shown above)?

All URLs start with a /. When you 'curl example.com', curl requests
the URL '/' from the host 'example.com'. This is captured by your
rewrite rule.
So no, a slash is never added, the slash is captured from the original
URL. You can either not capture the slash from the original URL, or
leave off the / from the end of the rewritten URL, whichever makes you
feel more comfortable.

> Question 2)
> Is the method I use to alias "example.com" with "www.example.com",
> a good way to set up a ServerAlias in my httpd.conf file, or are there better
> ways?
> My current method, as mentioned above, is:
>    ServerName www.example.com
>    ServerAlias example.com
>    RewriteEngine On
>    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example\.com$ [NC]
>    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]

It's fine. Some people prefer to have the host name canonicalization
occur in a separate vhost, as this separates the configuration for the
'correct' hostname from the configuration for 'incorrect' hostnames.

Cheers

Tom