On 17. aug. 2011, at 15.36, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Richard Taubo <o...@bergersen.no> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I originally set my virtual host up like this in my httpd.conf file:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Question 1)
>> Are there any problems running a):
>>        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]
>> Rather than b):
>>        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]
>> ?
>> Will e.g. a slash always be added as a part of $1 in a) if it exists in the
>> original url query (as caught by the RewriteCond shown above)?
>
> All URLs start with a /. When you 'curl example.com', curl requests
> the URL '/' from the host 'example.com'. This is captured by your
> rewrite rule.
> So no, a slash is never added, the slash is captured from the original
> URL. You can either not capture the slash from the original URL, or
> leave off the / from the end of the rewritten URL, whichever makes you
> feel more comfortable.

Thanks!

So to be 110% clear, since this is kind of important to get right :-)

1) So either this – leave off the / from the end of the rewritten URL:
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]

2) Or this – not capture the slash from the original URL:
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]

3) But not this – as was the alternative I started out with (the browsers I
have tested
do not seem mind, but the rewrite logs shows that an extra slash is added):
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R=301]

>> Question 2)
>> Is the method I use to alias "example.com" with "www.example.com",
>> a good way to set up a ServerAlias in my httpd.conf file, or are there
>> better ways?
>> My current method, as mentioned above, is:
>>    ServerName www.example.com
>>    ServerAlias example.com
>>    RewriteEngine On
>>    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example\.com$ [NC]
>>    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]
>>

> It's fine. Some people prefer to have the host name canonicalization
> occur in a separate vhost, as this separates the configuration for the
> 'correct' hostname from the configuration for 'incorrect' hostnames.

So instead of:
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName www.example.com
   ServerAlias example.com
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^example\.com$ [NC]
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com$1 [L,R=301]
</VirtualHost>

They would rather create two VirtualHosts like this instead:
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName www.example.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>