Looked OK at the beginning but after 3 days in use this solution seems to
have made things worse.  The number of 408 responses has gone up fast and I
don't know why.   As suggested I added the following line:

RequestReadTimeout header=10 body=30

with the example timeouts taken from the Apache documentation.  There is no
indication in the docs as to what the default is and 10 seconds seems long
in view of the fact that we often get several 408's from the same IP per
second according to the log.

My analysis is that this should not be a problem because the request and
the data content are passed in the URL (method=GET) so as soon as the
server has the request it has the body too.

This is HTTPS but I don't think renegotiation (which adds to the timeout)
would be required because the service is already, from our viewpoint,
running.  These are background (AJAX) requests and are usually issued
within a few seconds to a minute following each other.

The documentation is somewhat vague on how to chose an appropriate value
and how to debug.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

John